Shopping Guide for Medicine Boots for Horses
Healthy legs are essential to maintaining your horse’s locomotive abilities. The lower section of your horse’s legs (beneath the knee) do not have muscles: This area consists of tendons, ligaments and bones, which makes them extremely vulnerable to injuries. However, horse wraps and boots are designed to protect your horse’s legs from splints and abrasions while he or she is performing, practicing, or just walking trails. These boots and wraps also absorb some of the shock sustained as your horse’s hooves hit the ground. Just like human athletes, horses can suffer from strains, sprains, invasive wounds and injuries caused by overuse.
Today’s technologically advanced muscle wraps and boots are available in a variety of styles. Each type of boot or wrap has a special function: It could be intended for use during a specific activity or to address some type of medical condition.
As you are looking for a pair of back boots for your horse, you should take several things into consideration, including:
- Sizing – Choosing the correct boot size is vital because a back boot that is too small or too large can interfere with your horse’s gait. Also, choosing a medicine boot that is flexible allows your horse to fully flex his or her joints.
- Breathability – There are fabrics available that wick moisture away from the skin. Purchasing your horse a pair of back boots with wicking ability can increase your horse’s comfort level and decrease the possibility of your horse developing blisters.
- Secure, yet easy to place and simple to remove – A variety of attachment options are available. These options include steel buckles, Velcro, rings, laces or adjustable wraps with Velcro. Keep in mind that medicine boots for horses must remain fastened no matter what the weather or condition: Otherwise, the likelihood that your horse will sustain additional injuries increases.
- Traction – If you choose a pair of back boots that have a gripping surface, you reduce the risk of your horse suffering a fracture or sprain.
- Easy to clean – Boots and wraps should remain clean as this reduces the likelihood of your horse developing an infection.
- Cushioning – The cloth and fleece lining of medicine boots for horses decreases the amount of pressure and rubbing your horse experiences.
Types of Medicine Boots for Horses
The purpose of medicine boots and wraps is to support the tendons and ligaments in your horse’s legs, immobilize his or her joints and to apply ice packs or medicine.
Back Boots for Protection
These types of coverings have hard materials on the outside (rubber or leather) and softer materials on the inside (neoprene or fleece).
Medicine Boots for Immobilization
Just like the boots for protection, immobilization boots are also hard on the outside, while softer on the inside.
Other materials frequently used in hind boots for horses include polyester, nylon and vinyl.
Fitting & Sizing Medicine Boots for Horses
The majority of hind boots for horses are available in small, medium and large. Typically, your horse’s weight, height and breed, in conjunction with the circumference of his or her leg provide the information you need to choose the proper back boot size. This is just a general guideline, therefore, when ordering, please refer to the size chart for more sizing information.
Caring for Medicine Boots for Horses
While hind boots are washable, please refer to your product’s specific washing instructions.
HorseLoverZ.com – The One-Stop-Shop for All Your Equine Needs
HorseLoverZ.com is dedicated to providing trail riders, circuit professionals and backyard enthusiasts with the largest online tack shop available on the internet. We take the time to find the best prices on everything equine and base our prices on the lowest prices we find. In the event that you do find a lower price offered by one of our online competitors, we want to know! With our price-match guarantee, you can be rest-assured that you will get the best deal possible at HorseLoverZ.
Besides offering the most sought-after equine products available, we are continuously running sales in each of our categories: These sales last for 24 hours. You will also find specials like a complimentary gift when you purchase a particular product, liquidation products with even deeper discounts, free-shipping specials and buy one get one free offers. If you do not love the product you purchased from us, contact us and let us know: At HorseLoverZ.com, we offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee.